Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day 3 (25/7)


We started the day to the famous Severn Cullis-Suzuki's speech about sustainability. If you were wondering who she is, she was the girl, who was at the time 12 years old, silenced the world for 5 minutes during one of the UN Conferences in Rio. Her speech was equally inspiring as her speech 2 decades ago, although currently, the UN wasn’t as pro-active about sustainability as 20years ago. Disappointed, she decided to look towards the younger generation, us, to change the world, quote "...not top politicians, but you, the younger generation to change the world". Her words were of encouragement to me, she also told us that we, the young people can do things that adults can't, without money! And the fact that our voice is our most powerful tool to fight this war we are in.

Later on, in the session titled Earth. Spirit. Culture. Art. I realized that in every small thing that I do in everyday life, will have a great impact on the environment. For example, I have this really bad habit of leaving the lights, AC & heater on when I leave my hostel room and head for an 8hour long class before coming back into the room and leaving the water running while I apply shampoo and soap. These small things, I realized, affected the whole environment.

We have only 1 world, 1 life, and all we need is one community and one action plan to start the domino effect in the name of sustainability.

This was further emphasized in the talk by Quinn Runkle (a UBC student) where she said that to kick start a project all you need is to kick the first domino piece down, which will in turn, cause the rest of the domino chips to fall. Also, start small, in your own community, take the first step, take the risk, learn and challenge yourself. All these I took in, with much appreciation and encouragement to change, firstly, my lifestyle, then others.

Then came the football. This time polished slightly by the first day's events, I did so much better, I even scored a goal through a goal kick! We roared with laughter and joy when we defeated the opposing team 6-2 when they had very strong teammates. MVP of the game was Nawaraj (ibwsc2012.edublogs.org), the 4 goals coupled with the impressive footwork earned him that title.

Lastly, we gathered in the CIRS theater for a Kutapira performance. It was mainly drums, and everybody started dancing, or rather jumping up and down, to the rhythm of the music. It started to get really stuffy and warm in the Theater, ironically in a cool and dry atmosphere. It was an amazing performance, with the few instruments they had, they "rocked the building".

Today was just pure FUN. I learnt plenty of things in this multicultural gathering of brilliant minds that have the same goal - to make things better, not just less bad. But first, I have to start changing me, then grow outwards, which is to my family, then neighborhood, state, country and then world (hopefully).

CD!
Live band



No comments:

Post a Comment